Tuesday, December 5, 2006

Spreading Christmas Joy.

Tonight Frank and I went to visit an elderly friend of ours. She has been living in an assisted living facility since November 1st and though she seems to be pretty happy there she has seemed a bit lonely. When we arrived with a small arm load of Christmas gifts she had tears in her eyes, she was so grateful that we had thought of her and that we had thought to stop and visit. We stayed for about an hour and a half chatting and telling stories of Christmases past, and she loves to hear about how my mom is doing ( she met my mom last summer and they spoke about lots of things, but when she heard mom was born in Quebec, she was thrilled to pieces as she was born and raised in Gasp Bay herself ). She is a very sweet grandmotherly woman and I was so happy that I was able to make her smile.
I also picked a name from a tree at one of the local malls. Each year I stop at the Charity Tree and pick a name. The charity host/ess gives you the specifics about that child such as gender and age, and tells you what they are in need of ( ie shoes or cloths or outer ware and the correct sizes, special toys they may be interested in or habbies they have like reading or arts and crafts ) and then you purchas items you would like to give them and bring the items back to the Tree where they are gift wrapped and labled for that needy child. When they wake up on Christmas morning, they will have something under the tree where maybe they wouldn't have had anything otherwise. It makes me sad to think about it, but I do remember how tough it was growing up with a single parent who had to provide for 3 kids all on her own, no dad to help out. But, we all turned out just fine! I know I can't help all the kids out there, but I can help one!

2 Comments:

At December 6, 2006 at 8:19:00 AM PST , Blogger Lesley said...

It's wonderful that you help out those in need of Christmas cheer and maybe something to open on Christmas Day.
Every year Aaron and I do something charitable as well. Mom, Dad, Aaron, Heather and I adopted a family for Christmas a few years back.
It definitely makes us feel good to be able to help out other people. It's a shame that it usually only happens at Christmas time, although we do donate to the food bank at least once a month while grocery shopping. Every little bit helps I'm sure.

 
At December 6, 2006 at 10:58:00 AM PST , Blogger Alli said...

That is such a sweet story.. Funny too because me and mom were just talking about it,how here in T.O no one ever buys stuff for Babies or Teenagers so we were thinking of doing that. Great minds think a like

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home