Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Anna and the Bay Leaves.

OK, so Anna and I both enjoy cooking and we often try a new recipe and then bring it to work the next day to share, and today while munching on the oatmeal raisin cookies I made last night, we started to discuss Bay Leaves. She uses them often, and I never use them. I know what they are because growing up I often found one in something my mom had made ( soups and sauces ), but I have never used them myself. Really, I don't know what they do! Do they change the flavor? I know that you are not supposed to actually EAT them, just cook with them and then remove them, so my question is this: You you ever use Bay Leaves? And if so in what? Do they change the taste or are they just something fancy to add? Let me know faithful Blog readers! (And yes, I do know that there are at least 9 people who read this Blog page at least once a week, so I want to hear from you! )

4 Comments:

At February 27, 2007 at 7:35:00 PM PST , Blogger Alberta said...

I'll throw a bay leaf into something like a stew, corned beef or spaghetti sauce. They don't soften, so you have to take them out before serving your dish. Nannie Sample always said to make a good stew you had to put in a parsnip...guess my stew isn't that great, because I don't like parsnip! Oh well, to each their own tastes!

 
At February 28, 2007 at 5:49:00 AM PST , Anonymous Anonymous said...

It makes the food have a milder flavor, and you can taste the diffrence if you do or don't use one. according to mom.
How did the cookies turn out? Chewy or crunchy???
Alli

 
At February 28, 2007 at 8:23:00 AM PST , Anonymous Anonymous said...

My first experience with a bay leaf was being at my friend's house when I was 10 years old. Her British parents served spaghetti with sauce. The sauce was loaded with these weird, hard leaves and also with tiny black balls. It was bay leaves and whole peppercorns. Needless to say, I was aghast at this terrible and (in my 10 year old opinion) inedible meal, and I've never liked bay leaves since.

Yvette

Besides, you're supposed to re-stock your herbs after about six months, and I really believe that most people have an "antique" supply of bay leaves, which I hear alters the flavour quite a bit.

 
At March 1, 2007 at 3:26:00 PM PST , Anonymous Anonymous said...

cc"Anna and the bay leaves." i like that.It's good to hear all the diffrent comments. The comment from alberta, parsnip in a stew i'm going to try that.
I wouldn't even thing of cooking a soup without a bay leaf.
Krista see you in 2weeks or so.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home