Monday, August 24, 2009

The Souffle.

Saturday night I attempted my first ever souffle, and it was quite a hit!! It was a lot easier to make than I thought, and since I had never even seen a souffle before in my entire life, let alone tasted one, I thought it turned out pretty good!! Here is how it's made ( including a few small changes I made to suite my own taste)
4 c mashed potatoes ( without any butter/milk added )
1 c skim milk
1 c shredded cheddar cheese ( I used medium light cheddar )
2/3 c shredded Swiss cheese ( again I used light )
1/3 c shredded Parmesan cheese (I was not about to pay $12 at the local store, so I used my can of powdered Parmesan and it turned out just fine, I used an equal amount )
1/3 cup chopped green onions
1 small onion chopped (I don't like onions, but find green onions OK, so I opted to use about 2/3 c green onions and omitted the actual onion called for )
4 eggs separated
Salt and pepper to taste

1) combine potatoes, 3 cheeses, milk, onions, salt and pepper in a large bowl and mix well.
2) Beat egg yolks with a fork and stir into potato mixture.
3) In a small mixing bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form, and then gently fold into the potato mixture.
4) Use a spatula to scrape the mixture into a 2-qt souffle dish that has been sprayed with non-stick spray
5) Bake at 375 F ( 190 C ) for 40-45 min, and serve immediately ( serves 12 unless Hike is invited to dinner, in which case it serves 4 with Hike complaining he didn't get enough ).

I served this with a nice pork roast seasoned with garlic, salt and pepper, and a side of steamed baby carrots, broccoli florets and cauliflower florets.

Hope you enjoy!!

P.S I didn't find out untill after it was too late that it is reccommended you put a coller on the souffle dish ( thanks Mom! ) but it turned out alright in the end as it didn't seem necessary, though I may have been using a larger dishthan reccommended.


1 Comments:

At August 25, 2009 at 8:06:00 AM PDT , Blogger Alberta said...

Krista that sounds delicious! And Hike's large appetite is a good indicator of your cooking skills! Well done!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home