Sunday, May 27, 2007

A twin for Alex Beck!

Last night Hike, his girlfriend, Frank and I all went down to China Town to the Night Market, we usually go two or three times a summer, and it never fails that a lost little kid latches onto me and I begin the hunt for the missing parent. Last year it was a 3 year old East Indian girl who was standing in the middle of a crowd crying her eyes out, her fingers in her mouth and incoherently calling for her mommy. I watched her cry for a min as dozens of people filed past her and nobody seemed to be claiming her so I went over and bent down to her level and asked if she was lost. She nodded and threw herself on me in a death grip so I picked her up ( because she wouldn't let go of my neck ) and we stood still in the middle of the crowd while I scanned for an East Indian adult ( almost as rare as a Caucasian adult at a Chinese Night Market ). Almost 20 min passed and I was about 60 seconds away from having Frank locate the Police who patrol the market to take over the lost parent search, when the mother wandered to claim her child. Now to get to the Twin of Alex Beck part, my cousin Lesley has a son named Alex, and if they didn't live in Alberta I'd swear it was him last night who found me in the crowd! A little boy named Alex replayed the same scenario as the little girl from last summer. It was so strange since I have never met my cousin Alex, only seen him in several photos, but WOW what a resemblance! Anyway, Alex' mom managed to find us in under ten min last night and was so panicked I thought she was going to faint when she found us. The funny thing was, she had the nerve to ask him right in front of me if I had tried to steel him! Imagine my shock! But the kid was smart and quick to tell her "No Mommy, she helped me find you when you lost me"! I was pretty smug while she apologised!
Anyway, off to Peddle Boat for an hour or two, hope you all have a great day!

4 Comments:

At May 27, 2007 at 3:05:00 PM PDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

it's amazing how kids know when they are with someone who will protect them!

 
At May 29, 2007 at 7:13:00 AM PDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

So your in to the kid stealing biz now eh? Well I have 3 you can steal, but you hve to give back when you are done stealing them. OK hoiw about Christmas want to steal them then? Let me know
Al

 
At May 29, 2007 at 12:42:00 PM PDT , Blogger Lesley said...

Hah, that totally sounds like my Alex too - running away from Mommy in crowded places.

 
At May 30, 2007 at 6:23:00 PM PDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll take the kiddies at Christmas in a heart beat!
This kid was adorable, he really did look so much like Alex!
Kris.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home