Friday, January 12, 2007

Random Acts of Kindness.

Have you ever had some stranger do something really nice for you, for no reason at all, and not expect anything in return? I have, and for some reason I was thinking about some of those kind strangers from my past today and thought I'd share with all of you...
One year, on December 13th, I was on my way home from picking up a friend at the air port when my car broke down on the side of the Highway. It was 11:00pm and -35 outside, so the roads were pretty empty. We sat in the freezing cold car for an hour waiting for my mom to come get us, but because it was so cold outside, she was unable to start her car! Luckily I had an emergency woll blanket and an emergency foil blanket in the car, but it just wasn't enough to really keep us warm. All of a sudden, a huge 18 wheeler pulled up behind us and a man dressed in a warm red sweater and a Santa hat climbed out and offered us a ride back to the rest stop & motel we had passed about 25 min before the car broke down. He loaded us into his Rig while he told us that he had passed us a while back and thought he should stop. It took him a while to find a place he was able to turn his huge truck around, pass us going the other way, and then turn it around again to come up behind us. Once we were loaded safely into the truck, he turned around again about 15 min up the road, drove us the now 40 min back to the rest stop. We were so thankful for his help that words can not express our gratitude!
Another time I was being driven to the air port o catch a flight when Hikes truck broke down. Again, a truck driver stopped and picked me up and drove me to the City Limit of Calgary where he had a cab meet me to take me the rest of the way to the air port, and I just barley made the flight on time!
If you are avid blog followers, you all know about the Doll of a Hair Dresser who worked for almost 2 hours to get the brush out of my hair with out chopping it all off!
When Ontario had the Ice Storm ( '96?? ) we were without electricity for almost 8 weeks ( yes, I said eight weeks ), and so we had no television. One of the towns about a 40 min drive away who had electricity by then also had a small movie theatre, and so Alli & I went to see a show. The next night, we returned to see the movie that was showing on the second screen. The next night, out of sheer bordem we decided to go back and see the first movie again! When the man who owned the theatre saw us back again he laughed and we started up a conversation. Well, he offered to let us in with no charge considering the situation, and he never let us pay again for the shows when we went to see a movie. What a nice man!!
Do you have any random acts of kindness to share? I know that I myself have bestowed random acts of kindness on several strangers because I have been fortunate to have been the recipient of so many, only a few of which are mentioned here.

2 Comments:

At January 13, 2007 at 12:58:00 AM PST , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmmm... Krista,
I too have been a recipient of a random act of kindness from a stranger. This stranger also had on a red sweater and Santa hat and was also driving a 18 wheeler hmmmm... coincidence? I think not!
Krista, that stranger sure looked familiar didn't he? white beard, black boots, bells jingling as he walked, just can't think of who though. You know I always think of that night and think how "Twilight Zone-ish" it would have been if as we walked away from the semi-trailer towards the motel and turn around to wave to the stranger and see that there is no truck there but something in the sky just above us and a faint sound of bells and a clear "HO HO HO" go across the sky. No one would believe us or would they? Hmmmm...

Frank

 
At January 17, 2007 at 8:20:00 AM PST , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had a ramdom act of Kindness. It happened during a horrible Ice storm and I went to see a movie and the Screen or movie Burned a hole it the show( I think you forgot that part LOL)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home